Monday, August 31, 2009

Pouring on the Pounds?



Here is a new public advertisement meant to help out New York Governor Paterson's campaign to create a tax on sugary drinks that have been proven to contribute to the obesity epidemic. Governor Paterson proposes an 18% tax on all non-diet sodas and I have to say I agree 100%.



We have made smoking a social taboo, and raised the tax to the point that some people just can afford to smoke an $8 pack of cigarettes. Why not do the same with foods that make us fat? The obesity tax as it is called, if passed has the potential to set a precedent that would make it easier to tax fast-food, sugary foods and other junk food that have no nutritional value and just make us bigger as a nation. I applaud Governor Paterson and NYC's ad campaign and I only hope the Rhode Island legislature can be as supportive when I propose a similar tax this coming fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment